Based off CCTV footage in Europe, UK law enforcement have released a list of the ten most common attacks that occur in everyday situations to civilians, usually male on male. At MaArtial, we believe it is vital to be aware of these common attacks and to train or modify your training accordingly.
We also tend to agree with Roran Gracie, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu expert, in this matter.
Self-defence is not just a set of techniques: it is a state of mind, and it begins with the belief that you are worth defending,
Once the right state of mind is adopted, then the most common attacks can be analysed. Our story needs to be one of a victimless civilian, who is determined to go home to their loved ones and survive the risks of daily life.
This is the official list of the ten most common attacks from UK law enforcement:
- After being pushed away, an aggressor comes back with a swinging right-handed haymaker to the head.
- One person simply swings a right hook-style haymaker to the head of another. The same as #1, but without the push.
- A front clothing grab, one handed, followed by a punch to the head.
- A front clothing grab, two hands, followed by a head butt.
- A front clothing grab, followed by a knee to the groin.
- A swinging bottle attack to the head.
- A lashing kick to the lower legs or groin.
- A broken bottle or glass jabbed in the face.
- A slashing attack with a knife.
- A headlock, grappling style.
We highly recommend being aware of these frequent attacks. Naturally, the various solutions to these problems will vary from instructor to instructor. Look out for upcoming MaArticles concerning possible reactions to these attack and suggestions from World Leaders in self-defence who are associated with MaArtial!
[text-block-end title=”MaArtial comment”]
Photo: Alan Thornton/Getty Images